In a world that’s constantly buzzing with information, it can be challenging to find the time to read books. However, reading non-fiction books can be an incredibly rewarding experience, as they offer new perspectives, knowledge and insights on a variety of topics. The top 20 non-fiction books provide a great starting point for anyone who wants to expand their knowledge and understanding of the world. In this blog post, we’ll summarize the key takeaways and points from each book, allowing you to get the most out of these popular titles.
Introduction: This bestseller serves as a guide to building better habits that will help you achieve success in all aspects of life.
- Focus on small, incremental improvements to achieve big results.
- Change your environment to make good habits easier (reduce friction) and bad habits harder (increase friction).
- Make your habits part of your identity to make them stick.
- Use habit stacking to build new habits onto existing ones.
- Get back on track by focusing on the next action, rather than dwelling on mistakes.
Main takeaway: By focusing on building good habits and making tiny improvements over time, anyone can achieve success in both their personal and professional life.
Introduction: A practical guide to personal freedom and fulfillment, based on ancient Toltec (pre-Columbian Mesoamerican culture) wisdom.
- Be impeccable with your word.
- Don’t take anything personally.
- Don’t make assumptions.
- Always do your best.
- Live in the present moment.
Main takeaway: By following these simple principles, you can achieve greater personal freedom, happiness, and fulfillment.
Introduction: A powerful and moving memoir of a young lawyer fighting for justice in the deep south of the United States.
- The criminal justice system is deeply flawed and often targets poor and marginalized communities.
- The death penalty is often applied unfairly and disproportionately to people of color.
- Many people on death row are innocent and wrongly convicted.
- We need to work together to reform the criminal justice system and fight for justice and equality for all.
- It is possible to make a difference, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.
Main takeaway: This book is a powerful reminder of the importance of fighting for justice and equality, even in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.
Introduction: A classic self-help book that offers a step-by-step guide to personal and professional success.
- Be proactive and take responsibility for your life.
- Begin with the end in mind and set clear goals.
- Put first things first and prioritize your time.
- Think win-win and look for mutually beneficial solutions.
- Seek first to understand, then to be understood, and communicate effectively.
Main takeaway: By adopting the seven habits outlined in this book, you can become more effective, productive, and successful in all aspects of your life.
Introduction: A memoir of the life of Michelle Obama, former First Lady of the United States.
- Michelle Obama’s childhood and upbringing shaped her into the person she is today.
- Her relationship with her husband, Barack Obama, was a key factor in her personal and professional development.
- Her time as First Lady was marked by a focus on public service and improving the lives of others.
- Michelle Obama’s personal and professional accomplishments serve as an inspiration to women and girls around the world.
- Her memoir offers a powerful message about the importance of hard work, dedication, and perseverance.
Main takeaway: “Becoming” is a powerful memoir that offers insights into the life and accomplishments of Michelle Obama, and serves as an inspiration to women and girls everywhere.
Introduction: In this book, Brené Brown explores the idea of letting go of perfectionism and embracing imperfection in order to live a more authentic and fulfilling life.
- Accepting imperfection and vulnerability is key to true personal growth.
- Self-compassion is more important than self-criticism in building resilience.
- The power of courage, compassion and connection helps you lead a more fulfilling life.
- Shame has to be acknowledged, but not internalized.
- Self-love and self-acceptance help to improve overall well-being.
Main Takeaway: By learning to embrace imperfection and vulnerability, you can lead a more authentic and fulfilling life.
Introduction: Written by the father of value investing, Benjamin Graham who was Warren Buffet‘s mentor, this book offers timeless advice on investing in the stock market.
- Investing requires a disciplined approach.
- The value of a stock is determined by its intrinsic value, not its market price.
- Long-term investors should focus on investing in high-quality companies that are undervalued by the market.
- Margin of safety is essential in protecting your investments.
- By investing with a long-term view, you can outperform short-term speculators.
Main Takeaway: The intelligent investor takes a disciplined and long-term approach to investing, focusing on the intrinsic value of high-quality companies that are undervalued by the market.
Introduction: In this book, Malcolm Gladwell explores the factors that contribute to high levels of success and achievement.
- Success is often the result of external factors, including family background, cultural legacy, and access to opportunity.
- The 10,000 hour rule suggests that it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to achieve mastery in a particular field.
- The role of timing and luck is often underestimated in determining success.
- Culture plays a significant role in shaping individuals’ attitudes and behaviors.
- Successful individuals often possess a combination of talent, hard work, and opportunity.
Main Takeaway: High levels of success and achievement are often the result of a combination of external factors, including access to opportunity, timing, and culture, as well as individual talent, hard work, and opportunity.
Introduction: In this book, Robert Kiyosaki shares the financial lessons he learned from his two “dads,” one of whom was rich and the other poor.
- Wealth is built through smart investments, not simply through earning a high salary.
- Financial education is key to achieving financial independence.
- Asset accumulation is essential to building wealth over time.
- Learning to manage risk is a key part of successful investing.
- Wealth is not the same as income, and understanding the difference is essential to achieving financial independence.
Main Takeaway: To achieve financial independence, it’s essential to build wealth through smart investments, asset accumulation, risk management, and financial education.
Introduction: This book explores the effects of trauma on the body and mind, and how people can heal from it.
5 Key Points:
- Trauma can have lasting impacts on both the body and the mind.
- Different types of trauma require different approaches to treatment.
- Traditional talk therapy may not be effective in treating trauma.
- Mind-body approaches, such as yoga and meditation, can be helpful in healing from trauma.
- Healing from trauma is a long-term process that requires patience and persistence.
Main Takeaway: Trauma can have profound impacts on people’s lives, but it is possible to heal and move forward.
Introduction: This book explores the different ways people express and experience love, and how understanding those differences can improve relationships.
5 Key Points:
- People have different ways of expressing and experiencing love.
- The five love languages are words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time, and physical touch.
- People can identify their love language through self-reflection and communication with their partner.
- Understanding your partner’s love language can improve communication and deepen your connection.
- Relationships require effort and attention to maintain.
Main Takeaway: Understanding the way you and your partner express and experience love can improve your relationship and deepen your connection.
Introduction: This novel follows the journey of a young shepherd named Santiago as he pursues his dreams and discovers his destiny.
5 Key Points:
- Pursuing your dreams requires courage and perseverance.
- The universe conspires to help people achieve their dreams.
- People must be willing to take risks and leave their comfort zones to achieve their goals.
- The journey is often more important than the destination.
- The people and experiences along the way can shape and transform a person.
Main Takeaway: Pursuing your dreams requires courage, risk-taking, and perseverance, and the journey can be transformative.
Introduction: This memoir tells the story of a woman who grew up in a strict, isolated household and went on to earn a PhD from Cambridge University.
5 Key Points:
- Education can provide a path to freedom and self-discovery.
- Breaking free from an oppressive environment requires courage and sacrifice.
- People can transform their lives through education, but it requires hard work and dedication.
- Trauma can have lasting impacts on a person’s life, but healing is possible.
- Forgiveness and empathy are important for moving forward and building relationships.
Main Takeaway: Education can be a powerful tool for personal transformation and healing, but it requires hard work, sacrifice, and a willingness to let go of past trauma.
Introduction: This book provides 12 principles for living a meaningful and fulfilling life.
5 Key Points:
- Take responsibility for your own life and actions.
- Set clear goals and work towards them.
- Stand up for yourself and what you believe in.
- Treat yourself and others with respect.
- Embrace the challenges and hardships of life as opportunities for growth.
Main Takeaway: Living a meaningful and fulfilling life requires taking responsibility for your own actions, setting clear goals, standing up for yourself, treating others with respect, and embracing the challenges and hardships of life.
Introduction: This classic book is a memoir and manifesto about finding meaning in life, written by a Holocaust survivor and psychotherapist.
- Humans need a sense of purpose and meaning to thrive.
- One can find meaning even in the most difficult and seemingly hopeless situations.
- It’s important to focus on what one can control and take responsibility for one’s own life.
- Frankl’s concept of logotherapy emphasizes the search for meaning and purpose as the primary motivation for human life.
- The book provides a powerful message of hope and resilience in the face of extreme adversity.
Main takeaway: No matter how difficult life may seem, there is always the possibility of finding meaning and purpose in it. Frankl believed that logotherapy could help individuals to find meaning and purpose in their lives, which could ultimately lead to improved mental and emotional health.
Introduction: This self-help book advocates waking up early and using the first hour of the day to focus on personal growth and productivity.
- Waking up early is a powerful way to take control of one’s day and increase productivity.
- The first hour of the day should be dedicated to personal growth and self-improvement.
- The “20/20/20 Formula” involves spending 20 minutes each on exercise, reflection, and learning during the first hour of the day.
- The book emphasizes the importance of developing good habits and routines for success.
- The story format of the book makes it an engaging and motivational read.
Main takeaway: Starting the day with purposeful activity can set the tone for productivity and success.
Introduction: This bestselling spiritual guide encourages readers to live in the present moment and let go of negative thoughts and emotions.
- The present moment is the only reality, and dwelling on the past or worrying about the future can cause unnecessary suffering.
- The ego, or sense of self, is a source of much inner turmoil and conflict.
- The book provides practical exercises and techniques for cultivating mindfulness and presence in daily life.
- The message of the book is rooted in various spiritual and philosophical traditions, including Buddhism and Taoism.
- The book has been praised for its simplicity, clarity, and transformative power.
Main takeaway: Living in the present moment can bring peace, happiness, and a sense of purpose.
Introduction: This personal finance book offers a step-by-step plan for getting out of debt, building wealth, and achieving financial freedom.
- Debt is a major obstacle to financial security and must be eliminated as soon as possible.
- The “Baby Steps” plan involves creating an emergency fund, paying off debts, and investing for the future.
- The book emphasizes the importance of living below one’s means, budgeting, and saving for big purchases.
- The book advocates a cash-only approach to spending and avoiding credit cards.
- The book’s practical advice and motivational tone have helped many people achieve financial success.
Main takeaway: With discipline and determination, anyone can take control of their finances and build a more secure future.
Introduction: “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is a self-help book written by Dale Carnegie, first published in 1936. The book provides practical advice on how to improve your relationships and communication skills, both in your personal and professional life.
5 Key Points:
- Don’t criticize, condemn, or complain.
- Give honest and sincere appreciation.
- Show interest in others and listen to them.
- Make the other person feel important.
- Always try to see things from the other person’s perspective.
Main takeaway: The main takeaway from “How to Win Friends and Influence People” is that building strong relationships is key to success in all areas of life. By focusing on the needs and feelings of others, and by avoiding criticism and negativity, you can create a positive and supportive environment that will help you achieve your goals.
Introduction: “Thinking, Fast and Slow” is a book written by Nobel Prize-winning economist and psychologist Daniel Kahneman, first published in 2011. The book explores the two systems of thought that humans use to make decisions and how these systems can lead to cognitive biases and errors.
5 Key Points:
- System 1 thinking is fast, intuitive, and automatic.
- System 2 thinking is slower, more deliberative, and more effortful.
- People often rely too much on System 1 thinking, which can lead to errors and biases.
- Cognitive biases are systematic errors in thinking that can affect decision-making.
- By becoming aware of these biases, people can learn to make better decisions.
Main takeaway: The main takeaway from “Thinking, Fast and Slow” is that humans have two systems of thought, and that both are necessary for effective decision-making. By being aware of the strengths and limitations of each system, and by understanding the common biases that affect our thinking, we can make better decisions in all areas of our lives.